In 1792, the Reynolds family constructed this beautiful home along the hillside overlooking the West Fork (of the Monogahelia) River. The property, located adjacent to US Route 19 N of Clarksburg, WV just past the Gore area was the site of this spacious homestead. In December 2014, the structure was donation by Dr. & Mrs. Bradley Franz. It was relocated to our campus in January 2015 and placed into storage. In August 2016, work was done to get the structure under roof. The Reynolds House is a two story structure with a full attic. Each floor is approximately 500 square feet. In its day, this was a massive structure. When completed it will be an entry point to Fort New Salem and serve as our visitor’s center and gift shop. Currently it has a completed foundation with exterior walls and roof. This structure will have HVAC. In 2022 the front, side and back porch were completed. Work began on the finishing touches including starting the chinking and daubing process.
We are currently restoring the windows with a plan to install them in the spring of 2024. We have commissioned our porch lights and designed the electrical work and doors.
This area will also serve as the business office for Fort New Salem and storage.
Once restored, our projects are marked by a cedar sign at the door commemorating a brief history of the structure. This allows all visitors to see a brief history of the building. In the case of the Reynolds House, an additional sign will be place inside the structure which will denote all who supported this accomplishment. Since the Reynolds House will be the entry and exit portal to Fort New Salem, ALL VISITORS will see the names of those who helped. The sign show on the left is a proposed layout of the exterior sign. The pictures below show how we memorialized a similar but smaller restoration of The Farm House.